The Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 expressly prescribes the terms and scope of cover of a New South Wales CTP (Green Slip) policy, so policy coverage is the same across New South Wales regardless of the insurer.
All greenslip providers provide the same standard greenslip cover. However, four out of the six insurers also provide an additional feature called the Driver-at-fault cover, which provides benefits for drivers where the driver is injured and at fault in an accident.
At-fault-driver cover vary with respect to terms and conditions, inclusions and exclusions, amount of cover, etc., among the insurers that provide it.
Provided below is an overview of Driver-at-fault cover provided by each insurer. We’ve broken down the cover into particular features for you to make comparisons more easily. However, we still recommend that you read through the Driver-At-Fault cover policy wording provided by the insurers.
|INSURER||PROVIDES DRIVER-AT-FAULT COVER|
*Terms and conditions apply
Schedule of Benefits
|Loss of or permanent total loss of use of one limb||$50,000||$50,000|
|Loss of one hand or foot|
|Loss of entire sight of both eyes||$50,000||$50,000||$100,000||$100,000|
|Loss of entire sight of one eye||$25,000||$25,000||$50,000||$50,000|
|Loss of sight in one eye, the other eye being blind or absent|
|Total Loss of Hearing||$100,000|
|Total Loss of Speech||$100,000|
|Loss of teeth (5 or more)||$4,000|
|Amputation of both hands and both feet||$100,000||$150,000|
|Amputation of one hand and one foot||$100,000||$100,000|
|Amputation of both hands or both feet||$75,000|
|Amputation of one hand or one foot||$20,000||$50,000|
|Amputation of thumb and forefinger on one hand||$25,000|
|Loss of both ears||$5,000|
|Loss of one ear||$2,500|
|3rd degree burns (burns sustained to 10% of body or greater)||$20,000||$20,000|
|Fractured vertebrae (process or body)||$10,000||$2,000|
|Laceration of liver||$10,000||$10,000|
|Laceration of kidney||$10,000||$10,000|
|Laceration of spleen||$10,000||$10,000|
|Laceration of lung||$10,000||$10,000|
|Fractured ribs (greater than 4)||$10,000|
|Fractured upper arm||$2,000|
|Fractured lower arm (excluding fractures of hand)||$2,000|
|Fractured upper leg||$2,000|
|Fractured lower leg (excluding fractures of foot)||$2,000|
|Arm (excluding shoulder and/or hand or leg (excluding foot)||$2,000|
Notable Exclusions to Cover
Each of the insurers that provide Driver-at-fault cover have a list of exclusions of cover. For instance, some insurers will not cover an at-fault-driver who is under 25 years old at the time of the motor accident. Some insurers will not cover the driver-at-fault if the greenslip is for a 3 or 6 month term. They may also specify the particular vehicle shapes/class that are eligible for this added benefit. We highly recommend that you read the policy wording thoroughly before making any purchasing decision.
In general, however, insurers will not provide cover under the following conditions:
- The injury was deliberately caused, or resulted from an accident that was deliberately caused.
- At the time of the accident, the driver of the vehicle did not hold a valid NSW licence.
- The vehicle was being driven in unsafe conditions.
- The driver was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol in excess of the legally prescribed limit.
- The vehicle was towing a trailer or a caravan in an illegal or unsafe manner.
- The vehicle was loaded above the legal limit or in an illegal way.
- The vehicle was not registered at the time of the motor accident.
- The driver was engaged in car racing, pace making, rallying, or speed/reliability trials of any kind.
- The injury was due to psychological or psychiatric causes.
- The vehicle was being used for a criminal or unlawful purpose.