Some vehicles are required to pass a safety check also known as a pink slip prior to registration. In general, vehicles more than 5 years old must pass an annual safety check. Trailers weighing less than 250kg, however, do not require inspection.
If your renewal notice from the RMS says “inspection required”, this means that you need to secure a pink slip or safety check from an authorised inspection station. This page allows you to find authorised inspection stations near you.
Note that changing the term of your registration may also impact inspection requirements. You should contact the RMS on 13 22 13 to find out whether your vehicle requires inspection for the term you’d like to register your vehicle.
Pink Slip reports are also sent electronically to the RMS. If your vehicle passes vehicle inspection, once you log in to the RMS for vehicle registration, you should see a check mark on the pink slip or safety check section on the page.
If your vehicle passes the safety check:
- The inspection station notifies the RMS electronically of the safety check report.
- You should then purchase a CTP Greenslip as a requirement to register your vehicle.
- Renew your registration by mail, phone, online, or at a motor registry.
If your vehicle fails the safety check:
- The safety check station will issue a repairs needed report (previously called the white slip). This report identifies the repairs needed on your vehicle.
- All the required repairs must be completed within 14 days of the repairs needed report issue date. If you do not complete all the required repairs within this period, your white slip will expire. You will then have to return to a safety check station to get another safety check and a new safety check fee will be charged to you.
- After the repairs are completed, get your repairs checked at the inspection station that issued your repairs needed report. If you choose to go to a different safety check station, you will be charged a new safety check fee.
- Once the repairs needed report is cleared, your vehicle will pass the safety check.
- You can then proceed with your vehicle’s registration renewal following the purchase of a greenslip.
If your vehicle requires a pink slip prior to registration, it is recommended that you secure a safety check first before you purchase a greenslip. This saves you from the tedious process of greenslip cancellation in the event that your vehicle fails inspection and you decide to no longer register the vehicle.